Dear Senator: Support Defense-Funded Melanoma Research
Defense-funded melanoma prevention and research programs have positively impacted the lives of millions of Americans.
Here's the facts based on a 10-year surveillance from 2005 through 2014:
- Among male service members, malignant melanoma was one of the most frequent cancer diagnosis
- Among females, malignant melanoma was the second most frequent cancer diagnosis
- A 2014 Military Medicine Study found that the overall incidence rate of melanoma in active duty military personnel between 2000 and 2007 was 62% greater than among the general population
- In 2019, over 192,000 Americans are expected to be diagnosed with melanoma
- In 2019, melanoma is expected to take the lives of over 7,000 Americans
- Today, nearly 1 million people are living with melanoma in the US
- Melanoma is the deadliest form of skin cancer. Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the US
Please support an increase in Defense-funded melanoma research and life-saving cancer prevention programs.